ame a full-time special teams co-

in Einsteigerforum 17.01.2020 04:38
von sakura698 | 405 Beiträge

TORONTO -- Hes been snubbed a final time by the Baseball Writers Association of America, but Roberto Alomar believes theres a spot in Cooperstown for Jack Morris. Sammy Watkins Super Bowl Jersey . Morris was denied induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame on Wednesday, his 15th and final year on the writers ballot. The veteran right-hander was named on 61.5 per cent of BWAA votes, well short of the 75 per cent minimum requirement. "You feel disappointed but on the other hand its something I cant vote for," Alomar, currently a special advisor with the Blue Jays, said Thursday. "He has my vote. "I would love to see him in the Hall of Fame already." Alomar, 45, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011. The 12-time all-star second baseman and Morris were Toronto teammates in 1992 and 1993 when the Blue Jays captured consecutive World Series titles. Morris won 259 games over 18 seasons with Detroit, Minnesota, Toronto and Cleveland. Morris claimed more victories in the 1980s than any other pitcher and threw a dramatic complete-game, 10-inning shutout to win Game 7 of the 91 World Series for the Twins. But Morriss critics point to his lofty earned-run average (3.90) and failure to capture a Cy Young award -- given annually to the top pitchers in the American and National Leagues -- as reasons against his induction into Cooperstown. After leading Minnesota to its World Series crown, Morris signed as a free agent with Toronto and won 21 games -- tops in the majors -- with a 4.04 ERA in 92. Although he struggled in the playoffs, Morris was the Jays opening-day starter the following year. However, after posting a 7-12 record with a 6.19 ERA, Morris failed to see any playoff action in 93. The five-time all-star later signed with Cleveland but was released in early August with 10-6 record and 5.60 ERA. Morriss Hall of Fame quest isnt necessarily over. He could still be nominated by the Veterans Committee, which reconsiders the careers of retired players bypassed by baseball writers. However, Morris must now wait three years to become eligible for consideration. But Alomar is confident it will be well worth it. "No, its not over," Alomar said. "I think eventually hell be inducted into the Hall of Fame. "Sometimes its takes longer for others but as long as you get in, thats all that matters." Alomar was back on the Rogers Centre turf Thursday participating in the clubs winter training day in support of the Jays Care Foundation. Participants fundraised a minimum of $500 -- with proceeds supporting the Blue Jays Baseball Academy Rookie League national program -- to receive on-field instruction from Alomar and fellow former Jays Jesse Barfield, Pat Tabler, Lloyd Moseby and Homer Bush. Alomar said theres no question in his mind Morris deserves a Hall of Fame nod. "He was a good teammate," Alomar said. "I always said if you wanted a guy pitching on the mound in the seventh game of the World Series, it should be Jack Morris. "Thats the guy Id vote for." There will be a Toronto flavour during this years induction ceremony. Among those in this years Hall of Fame class are manager Bobby Cox and slugger Frank Thomas, both former Blue Jays. Cox managed in Toronto from 1982 to 85, then led the Atlanta Braves into the 92 World Series against his former club. "Bobby Cox had a great career," Alomar said. "I never played for him, I played against Bobby. "He was a great manager, he had a lot of players talk real highly of him. He had a great winning percentage and its well deserved that he was voted into the Hall of Fame." Cox, who guided Atlanta to the 95 World Series title, isnt the only big-name former manager heading into the Hall of Fame. Joining him will be Tony La Russa and Joe Torre, both multiple World Series champions who like Cox also won more than 2,000 career games over their stellar major-league careers. "Unbelievable," Alomar said. "The only sad thing is I didnt get the chance to play for any of them. "But Im a big fan of theirs, I have a lot of respect for them. Im honoured to be part of that day with them and I cant wait until that day comes when I can congratulate them personally." Thomas was twice named the American League MVP over his 19-year career and was regarded as one of the games top hitters. He spent the 07 season and 16 games of the 08 campaign with Toronto, and was a Blue Jay when he belted his 500th career homer June 28, 2007 versus Minnesota. Dustin Colquitt Super Bowl Jersey . New York then missed its next six shots and scored only two points the rest of the night. The Los Angeles Clippers defence and the Knicks general ineptitude both played a role in the unsurprising finish to a meeting of two teams headed in opposite directions. Damien Williams Super Bowl Jersey . Then youve got to worry about the other up and coming teams in the two weaker divisions in the "Junior Circuit". http://www.thechiefsshoponline.com/Customized/ . Johan Franzen had two goals and two assists, Gustav Nyquist a goal and three assists and David Legwand a goal and two assists in the Red Wings 7-4 win over the New Jersey Devils. MONTREAL -- Troy Smith is ready to hear Anthony Calvillos name mentioned every time he lines up at quarterback for the Montreal Alouettes. The Heisman Trophy-winning pivot, who joined the Alouettes midway through last season, will be the clubs first opening-game starter other than Calvillo in 15 years when Montreal plays its first game of the 2014 CFL regular season at Calgary on Saturday. They are massive shoes to fill, with Calvillo having retired in the off-season as the leagues all-time passing leader. "Ill never stop hearing those references," Smith said this week. "I think its great to be mentioned with a great name like that. "I havent done nearly the things he has, and just holding onto his coattails a bit has been fun so far. But as a man, I definitely want to make my own path. Thats why Im here." Smith takes over the key position on a team that was a powerhouse for most of Calvillos time behind centre, but which has been sliding in recent seasons. And even though they remain well-stocked with top talent at many positions, the Alouettes are perceived as a team in decline. Last season was a disaster, with the inexperienced Dan Hawkins fired as head coach only five games into the season, followed shortly by a season-ending, and career-ending, injury to Calvillo. They finished 8-10, tying their worst record since they returned to Montreal after a 10-year gap in 1996, and lost to Hamilton in the East Division semifinal. This season hasnt started well either, with team architect Jim Popps bid to keep the head coaching as well as general managing job turned down. Tom Higgins, who was out of coaching since 2007, was named the new head coach, but the offensive co-ordinator he hired, Rick Worman, was fired midway through training camp. Then the club lost both its pre-season games, including a 26-10 setback at home against expansion Ottawa in which they failed to score a touchdown with new OC Ryan Dinwiddie calling the plays. Smith was not sharp while playing just over half of that game, but neither were backups Tanner Marsh and Alex Brink. All three got starts last season, with Smith emerging as the most promising to take over the top job. Now he has to play well enough to keep it. "I dont look at it as a transition year," said Popp. "That was last year. "Theres going to be a transition, but we were faced with this starting in Game 6, and we played two thirds of the year without Anthony Calvillo, knowing he probably wasnt coming back. "We had four different quarterbacks that won games and the team realized they could win without Anthony. That was a big hurdle. Its a little nerve-wracking, but like with all great players you lose, you just have to march on. Its not so much to replace that guy, but to find someone you can win with. How great theyll be, well find out." There were two main positives to come out of the off-season. One was the return of Larry Taylor, who gives them a kick return threat they havent had in recent seaasons. Darron Lee Super Bowl Jersey. Another was the signing of former NFL star receiver Chad (Ochocinco) Johnson, who so far looks to have a positive influence on and off the field. The 36-year-old Johnson has been out of football for two years, but Popp said he showed up in shape and has been a "great fit." "I think he can do great things for us," Popp said. "Every time we play somebody, their attention is on him, and not on S.J. Green and Duran Carter. So if hes an attention grabber and everyones talking about him, great. Chads used to that. And Chad, with each game and experience he has in this league, is only going to get better as the season goes along." Smith will have an impressive set of receivers with Green, Carter, Johnson, Taylor, Brandon London, Eric Deslauriers and the repatriated Dave Stala. Gone are Jamel Richardson, who had a knee injury and was cut, and veteran Arland Bruce. "Weve got the best receiving corps in the league," said Popp, who is particularly high on Carter, the son of former NFL great Cris Carter, who gained 909 yards in only 12 games after making his CFL debut in August. "All I say is CFL, enjoy what youre watching because youll be watching him in the NFL next season, Hell have the majority of NFL teams after him, and were not talking about as a third or fourth receiver. He can go in and have an impact like Cam Wake. Hes at that level." There is a first-rate running back in Brandon Whitaker and a solid offensive line anchored by left tackle Josh Bourke, despite the retirements of Scott Flory and Andrew Woodruff and the departure of Michael Ola to the NFL. The defence lost starting middle linebacker Shea Emry to Toronto, but should remain among the leagues best under defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe with veterans like rush end John Bowman and linebacker Chip Cox leading the unit. The Alouettes kick teams have been weak for the last three seasons, including when Marc Trestman was head coach and didnt name a full-time special teams co-ordinator. But they looked good both on returns and kick coverage in the pre-season and they may be a key area of improvement. Taylors ability to avoid the first wave to pick up extra yardage should be a bonus. It will likely take some time for the offence to jell. And if it turns out that Smith doesnt have what it takes to be a regular CFL starter, it could be a long season indeed. Starting the campaign against Calgary, followed by a home game against B.C., should give Higgins and idea of what it will take to re-establish Montreals reputation as a Grey Cup contender. "Every indication is that Troy Smiths going to be our guy, but sometimes there are growing pains," said Higgins. "If you look at Anthonys career, at the start it wasnt as stellar as it was at the end. "All that being said, (Smith) comes with good intangibles. Hes from a good program. Hes got the system down. Practices are going good. So lets see him get measured up against the best." ' ' '

nach oben springen

1&1 DSL

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Agreed Faste
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 1736 Themen und 4169 Beiträge.